Won't be seventeen forever

Time seems to be linear

When I was sixteen, "Seventeen forever" was my number one song

These days I can't stand listening to it

Nonetheless, they were right

We won't be seventeen forever

Sometimes we can't return to being seventeen because we're gone

And we're not there to wonder whether we could return

Friends, partners, offspring, family.. 

There is nothing and nobody that we really own

Everything and everyone is on loan

There is nothing we can hold on to

Only barely ourselves


Life is hard

Just for some it is harder than for others

Some have to go through a living hell

And won't get out of it

While others go through smaller living hells

And come out of them stronger and healthier

There is nothing we can take for granted

Still we are full of pretentious confidence

Perhaps this being a mode of survival

It laces up the throats of others

What have we learned?

Here and now is what matters

It's really all we have

Apart from the memory of being seventeen forever




Yes I understand

That every life must end

As we sit alone

I know someday we must go


Oh, I'm a lucky man

To count on both hands

The ones I love

Some folks just have one

Yeah, others they got none

Stay with me

Let's just breathe

(Pearl Jam - Just Breathe)

Comments